Metabolic age is just a simple number. However it considered a useful indicator of the overall level of your health and fitness.
The number is obtained by comparing your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) with the average BMR of other persons who are the same age in years as you.
If your metabolic age is lower than your actual age, you are fitter and healthier than the average for your age group.
But if your metabolic age is higher than your chronological age, it indicates that you need to improve your level of fitness.
This explanation begs the question… what is your basal metabolic rate?
Firstly, to answer this question, we need to discuss metabolism.
What is metabolism?
The term metabolism refers to all the chemical transformations that take place in your body… changes that are vital for sustaining your life.
These transformations are many and varied, and include:
- your digestive processes… the complex biochemical processes by which what you eat and drink is combined with oxygen to release the energy your body needs to function
- the transportation of substances into and between cells
- the conversion of glucose inside your cells into the energy that the cells need to function
- the conversion of food into the building blocks for proteins, lipids, nucleic acids etc
- the elimination of nitrogenous wastes
These changes allow your cells to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures and respond to their environment.
Without them your body simple would not work.